Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Feed my sheep





I first began to understand what the thing called Christian ministry is really all about one autumn morning as I knelt at the altar rail for communion.  I was just shy of my 29th birthday, and I had been going to Holy Innocents Episcopal Church in San Francisco for a few months after 17 years of no regular church attendance.  So I was still getting used to it all, the confession and the creed, the crossing myself, the standing here and the sitting there, and the weekly communion, which was not part of my childhood church experience.  I was struggling to understand what this ritual was about, and why the dry, papery little cracker and sip of fortified wine should matter as much as they obviously did.
On this particular day our two priests were distributing the bread as usual, dividing the altar rail between them.   I was one of the last to receive, and just before I did, something awkward must have happened.  I was trying to prepare myself inwardly for communion, so I didn’t see it, but there was a small yet noticeable interruption of the flow, a hiccup in the administration of the sacrament, a miscommunication or an accidental collision—I’ll never know.  But I looked up and saw Fr. Armand and Fr. Rob whispering together about it, and sharing a moment of quiet laughter over whatever it was that had happened.  They did not seem embarrassed or flustered, but more like partners in an improvisational dance which had taken an unexpected and humorous turn, and without missing another beat they resumed the distribution of the consecrated bread.
Something stirred in my heart as I witnessed that brief exchange, and it merged into the next moment, when Fr. Armand placed the wafer in my hand and I brought it to my mouth.  In a way I hadn’t really done before, I understood that the power of the gift he was passing on to me is not in the form of the ritual.  The priest does not make it happen by performing it correctly.  In that moment I saw the life that animates the Holy Eucharist, laughing and playing with the people who celebrate it.  It does not hover somewhere out of sight, above the proceedings, but it descends and dances with the people, with the people who do the feeding and the people who do the eating. 
That life is what makes possible the thing called Christian ministry, what we might also call discipleship.  It can look like anything, really.  It can look like a guy in odd-looking old-fashioned costume parading around in a church, or it can look like a woman bathing her granddaughter, or some kids picking up trash on the beach.  It can take any form, because its power doesn’t come from the form.  The power of Christian ministry comes from the reality of human life as it is lived, in all its vulnerability, and wonder, and incompleteness. 
And it comes from obedience to the word of Jesus Christ, or more properly, of Christ crucified and raised from the dead.  The proclamation of Christ’s resurrection is not the happy ending to an old story.  It is the beginning of a new story, a story in which all who love Jesus, all who have faith in him, who want to know him and to be healed and transformed by his grace are the actors.  The Resurrection is the place from which we are sent to meet the reality of human life in all its dimensions.  It is the sign that God is willing and able to work with us, even as we are.  It is the news that from here on out God doesn’t work any other way. 
Today’s gospel is about the beginning of this new story, which is actually the re-telling of an old one in a different key.  The story starts over at the beginning.  After being Jesus’ disciple, and going with him to Jerusalem, after the supper and the foot-washing and the denial, after the crucifixion and the empty tomb, after the locked room and the breathing of the Holy Spirit, Peter goes back to Galilee.  Back to the shores of the Sea of Tiberias.  Back to his fishing boat.
“I’m going fishing,” says Peter, as if to say, “I’m at a loss to know what has happened to me.  I don’t know who I am anymore, or what I’m supposed to be doing.  But I can’t just sit here, so I’m going do what I know how to do best.”  Strange to say, there are a few of the friends he made when he was with Jesus who are still hanging around.  And whether he wants it or not, Peter is their leader.  So they all go fishing together.
But there’s no going back to the way things were.  It’s fruitless to try, and so, though they fish all night, they don’t catch a thing until they hear the voice of the man standing on the shore, saying "Cast the net to the right side of the boat, and you’ll find some."  In the background is the echo of the other gospels, where the Christian community begins with Jesus calling Peter to leave his fishing boat and go with him to fish for people.   That this summons has not been cancelled by Jesus’ crucifixion, but is just beginning to move to fulfillment, is seen in the miraculous catch of fish. 
The beloved disciple is the first to recognize the Lord, but it is Peter who, in characteristically thick-headed style, throws on some clothes and jumps into the lake.  He swims to shore, and when he gets there, Jesus is waiting, and the fire is warm, and so are the fish and the bread.  Just as he ate with the tax collectors and sinners, just as he fed the multitude in the wilderness, just as he dipped bread into the dish, on the night he was betrayed, with the one who betrayed him, now Jesus invites the one who denied him to breakfast. 
The memory of that terrible night looms over this story.  The charcoal fire on the beach is like the fire in the courtyard of the High Priest where Peter stood warming himself with the servants and the police.  And just as they asked him three times, “are you not one of his disciples?” and three times Peter denied it, so now Jesus asks him, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”  Three times he asks him, and three times Peter says, “Lord, you know that I love you.”  And by the third time Peter also knows, and the pain and the shame and the guilt of what happened that night hangs in the air between them. 
But Jesus is not guilt-tripping Peter.   He does not gloss over the truth of what happened, but he meets the reality of Peter’s all-too human weakness with forgiveness.  He doesn’t condemn him, he gives him a job.  Jesus gives Peter the gift of a do-over, a second chance to show that he does in fact love his master.  And the sign of that love will be that Peter feeds Jesus’ sheep.
 This is the story of the call of a disciple, and like the other call stories it ends with the command to “Follow me.”   But Peter will no longer follow as the blundering, impulsive, and self-important disciple that he was before.  He will be a true leader, one whose memories of failure and unmerited forgiveness will be the source of his power to minister to others.  Yet for all that he will still be Peter.  Likewise Saul, after meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus, will become Paul.  But he will never forget how he persecuted his Lord.
In the same way, our own ministries will only grow from the roots of our real experience.  The people that we are, the histories we have, even our deep wounds and worst mistakes; as well as the context of our lives—our spouses and children and parents, our friends and neighbors, our church and country and century—it all adds up to a calling, to a particular ministry that only we can fulfill.  This is our gift.  It is, by the grace and power of Christ’s resurrection, the way that leads us to a new life, one that retells our own familiar story in new words, the words of unconditional love and forgiveness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.