Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Where murder comes from



A couple of weeks ago, I was walking to the local supermarket to get something for my lunch.  And I’d just left the sidewalk and was crossing in front of the vehicle entrance to the parking lot, when a large white diesel pickup pulled in from the street behind me and to my left, and came to a stop.  I was already halfway across its path, so I just kept walking.  But a moment or two later, I heard a voice, now over my right shoulder, calling out “Hey, buddy!--“  Now you tell me—has anyone, anywhere, ever really benefited from a conversation that began “Hey, buddy--”?  Anyway, I stopped and turned to face the stocky man with a mustache and short gray hair peering at me through the window of the white truck.  I guess I was supposed to have altered my course or pace of walking in some way, because he proceeded to give a lecture in the most condescended tone, on the importance of “situational awareness” and of working together and using our common sense to insure that everyone gets where they’re going in the swiftest and safest possible way. 
And I stood there and listened, feeling the fury that began to boil in my chest and the steam-pressure building in my head.  But somehow, by the skin of my teeth, I managed not to explode.  When he had finished, I simply said, “Indeed.”  And we looked at each other for a second or two, and when it was clear that nothing more was forthcoming, he drove on to look for a parking spot and I walked into the store. 
But I was angry and humiliated, and still unsure what exactly I’d done to provoke him.  I told myself he was probably just having a bad day, or maybe was someone who goes through life with the experience that others are holding him back and getting in his way.  And I wish I could say that I softened toward him, and let the whole thing go.  But just last Thursday I was walking again through the same parking lot and it all flooded back again.  And I had a moment of vivid fantasy in which I told that man, “My ‘situational awareness’ tells me I’m minding my own business, and I’m being hassled by an arrogant [insert your own church-inappropriate epithet here].”
Of course I’m still glad that didn’t happen.  It would not have accomplished anything, and Jesus, in the Gospel of Matthew tells us that saying to someone, “you fool!” is comparable to murder.  Because anger, when it comes out as personal insult, and verbal aggression, only breeds more anger, and the escalating spiral of reaction can easily end in violence.    Now, I don’t think that Jesus is saying here that we shouldn’t have feelings, such as anger, or lust, or that we must feel guilty because we do.  But he is asking us to be responsible for those feelings, and to handle them with care, because they are powerful forces that can lead to disastrous consequences.
Jesus isn’t thinking here mainly in legal terms.  He is not adding a draconian new section to the religious penal code.   His main point is not that losing your temper or ogling somebody will land you in hell, but that mental, and verbal, and physical violence are all on the same continuum.  Murder is not radically different from calling the guy in the parking lot a jerk; but just a further step along the same road.  So it is not enough simply not to kill people, and then to imagine that we have satisfied God’s minimum requirements, and therefore everything is all is right with our souls.  We need to attend to the seemingly insignificant “lapses” and minor misdemeanors in our thoughts and conduct toward others, because they partake of the same attitudes that produce adultery and murder.
And while I recognize that the exaggerated rhetorical style of first-century moral exhortation can sound harsh to our tender modern ears, I want to emphasize that the point is not so much to make us fear punishment after we die, as to confront us with the real practical consequences of the things we think and say and do here and now.  To illustrate what I mean, I’d like to focus in on one little of piece of today’s long Gospel lesson, for closer study, the verse that says: “if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ‘You fool,’ you will be liable to the hell of fire.”   Not there are words in the Greek text of this passage that are there for a reason, and have been lost in this translation, so let me tell what it literally says: “whoever calls his brother, ‘Raká’, (which is a Semitic word, meaning ‘dummy, fool,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin.  And whoever says to his brother ‘you Moré’ which is a Greek word that means ‘dummy, fool,” will be liable to the Gehenna of fire.”
So the first obvious question is, why the redundancy?  Why use two different insults in different languages that mean the same thing?  And why talk about two different punishments for the same, relatively minor, insult?  Here I think it helps us to know that most scholars agree that the Gospel of Matthew was written in a congregation of Jewish Christians which had also begun to incorporate Gentiles.  It was, in other words, a bilingual and bicultural community of faith.  And you could say that for someone who was culturally Jewish, who might be inclined to shout “Raká” when he got angry, the worst imaginable consequence of bad behavior would be to be called before the Sanhedrin, the supreme council and court of the Jewish nation.  Which is, incidentally, what the Gospels say happened to Jesus at the end of his life.
But in the Greek cultural and religious world, where you would call someone you thought was stupid “Moré,” there was a well-established belief in the afterlife, and in places of reward and punishment awaiting the human soul.   By the way, there is a Greek word for such a place, “Hades,” that shows up elsewhere in the New Testament.  But Matthew’s outlook is still predominantly Jewish, and the image he comes up for such a place of torment is on earth, a spot called Gehenna, which was a ravine outside Jerusalem where they took the city’s garbage to be burned.  So, if you put these two parallel statements together, they seem to being saying, “Whatever background you come from doesn’t matter—just think of the worst place you could end up: that’s the direction you’re heading in when you start to call your brother or your sister a dummy, or a fool.”
And I think there’s another reason for this redundancy in the Gospel.  Because trying to live in a bilingual, bicultural community is not easy.  It is not hard to imagine that there were frequent occasions when the attitudes and behaviors of the Gentiles in Matthew’s congregation seemed idiotic to the Jews.  And vice versa.  The words “Raká” and “Moré” might have been on the tips of people’s tongues fairly often.  Which is why Jesus does not stop at instructing us to be careful what we say, lest we all end up together in a hot, smoky place that smells like garbage.  He continues to urge on us the paramount importance of reconciliation. 
This is the true meaning of the righteousness that exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees—that we do not merely stop short of killing each other, or even of insulting one another, but that we learn how to make peace.  Because we are going to have anger and lust and all kinds of other perfectly natural human impulses, but our task in community is to learn how to deal with those impulses without them erupting into road rage, or ethnic slurs, or sexual harassment.  And it is to learn how to repair the damage, as far as we are able, when our impulses get out of hand.  Which requires God’s help, the kind of help that Jesus came to bring us, when he took a stand for the inherent worth, in the eyes of God, of every human being, no matter how despised and marginal in the eyes of disdainful human beings.  Because when we can prevent our aggressive, instinctual passions from blinding us to each other’s essential dignity, there is still hope for our own. 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.