Sunday, February 5, 2017

Light of the World




At the beginning of last week our Bishop issued the following statement, which you can find on the website of the Diocese of Northern California.  I have also posted it to St. John’s Facebook page:
Dear Friends in Christ:
Rabbi Rick Jacobs, President of the Union for Reform Judaism, recently said that …[the President’s] executive order [banning refugees and Muslim travelers] "will be remembered by history together with the Dred Scott decision and the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II as governmental actions most antithetical to American values. We will resist its implementation by any means available to us."
To which I say, Amen. And in my judgment it is antithetical to Christian values also. I invite you to join me in opposing it, and in making your opposition known. I say this in the hope that together we might uphold core principles above mere politics.
Yours in Christ,
+Barry
Now, I love and respect our Bishop.  I am also bound by the vows of my priestly ordination to be guided by his pastoral direction and leadership.  What’s more, I do oppose the executive order, for reasons which I would be happy to explain to you later, if you really care.  But the hard part for me in the Bishop’s statement was that bit about making my opposition known.  I have, in fact, made it known--to the White House and to our representatives in Congress.  That was easy.  But when I read those words of the Bishop, the first people I thought of were not in Washington, D.C. but here in Petaluma.  I thought of you people, and the fact that I would be preach to you again today.
So I went to the lectionary to study the passages appointed for this week, I read, “Shout out, do not hold back!  Lift up your voice like a trumpet!”  I read “No one lights a lamp and hides it under a bushel basket, but they put it on the lampstand, to give light to all in the house.”  And I kind of groaned a little to myself and thought “Lord, not again.”  Because the truth is, I didn’t want to talk about the Executive Orders.  It wasn’t just that I was worried about offending people, though that was part of it.  I know that there are some among you who voted for this President.  In recent months I’ve had one person tell me on the way out of church on Sunday that what I said in my sermon that morning was dead wrong.  I’ve heard from another that the Episcopal Church has moved too far to the right (though I think he meant to say the left), and he won’t be coming on Sunday anymore.  I’ve had people voice their concern about politics in the pulpit, and others walk out while I’m still preaching. 
And these have been painful moments for me, because I care about those people, and I want them to like me.  I’ve made an effort to follow up with them, to let them know that their concerns are important, and that I hope we’ll keep the conversation going.  I like to think that they’re still my friends.  And having a difference of opinion is not the worst thing that can happen between people, so as I was thinking about preaching today the possibility that someone might disagree with me was not my biggest fear.   What really troubled my heart is my growing sense that it is no longer possible in this country to say anything substantive about public affairs, without appearing to be, in the words of our Bishop, “merely political.” 
Bishop Beisner in his message seeks to appeal to what he calls “core principles,” but the fix we are now in is that we can’t even agree on what the core principles are.  We can point to many causes for this, and none of the pat explanations that blame on one group in society or another for the corrosion of our moral consensus is really persuasive.  Nevertheless, it is tempting to try.   And so, while there has been no shortage of prophetic voices in our land, calling for a truly honest, searching, and inclusive conversation about what constitutes the good life, and the just society, and we can get there at last, those voices have become harder and harder to hear.  Because above them, threatening to drown them out, has been the ceaseless ideological warfare, waged in the field of mass communications with the weapons of propaganda.   
This ideological conflict has become what we mean when we use the word “politics,” which has become a dirty word.  It has not only overtaken our public institutions, and the media, and our schools and universities.  It has poisoned our family dinner tables and has divided our churches.  Everywhere it seeks, not to find the common ground of values that we share, but to force us to take sides.  So it is no wonder that we look for a refuge, for a place that is not a battleground.  It is only natural to want a language to converse in that is innocent of “politics.”  And many of us seek that sanctuary here, in the church, and in her religious language. 
But here it has to be said that the church does not offer a space that is purely private and subjective, where we can be concerned only for ourselves: for our intimate relationships; our personal hopes and dilemmas; our imaginative and emotional experience.   Because the church keeps bringing us back to the language of the Bible.   
And Jesus does not say “you are the light of the mind,” or “you are the light of the heart, shining deep within.”  He says “you are the light of the world.”  He does not say, “you are the sweetness of heaven.”  He says “you are the salt of the earth.”  And the “you” in these sayings is plural.  He is talking about who we are, and what we do, together—a city on a hill.   Just in case we somehow missed the point of the Beatitudes, and think that Jesus spares us the hard and humbling work of hungering and thirsting for justice, of giving and receiving mercy and making peace, he directs our attention back to the law and the prophets; to those books of the Bible that have everything to do with the practical realities of creating a moral community that reflects the goodness and compassion of God. 
Isaiah 58 is a perfect illustration of what Jesus didn’t want us to forget.  Here the prophet tells the people that they cannot restore their nation solely by what we would think of as religion.  It is not enough for them to fast and to pray.  When Isaiah says that the fast that God chooses is to share our bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into our homes, he gives us language that cuts through our ideological defenses.  If we leave off thinking about whose fault it is that the poor are homeless, or who else should be responsible for giving them shelter; if we ask ourselves instead what it would take: what kind of healing of my faith in the restorative powers of community would enable me to open my door, and give a homeless person a place at my dinner table, and a bed in the guest room for the night, we begin to recover our imagination of the core values of a humane world. 
The highest of these values it is the giving human heart, wounded by sorrowing love.  This is the world’s center of moral gravity, and it finds its highest expression in Jesus.   It is from this center that Jesus calls us to be righteous, with a righteousness exceeding that of those paragons of ideological conflict, the Scribes and the Pharisees.  It is not the righteousness of being satisfied that if everyone agreed with my opinion the world’s problems would be solved, but more like that of Paul, who came to the church in Corinth in “weakness and fear and much trembling.” 
And yet Paul knew that in Christ, crucified, he’d found a wisdom that the rulers of this age could not understand.  So we also, who are buried with Christ in baptism that we might share in his resurrection, take our wobbling stands, and lift our quavering voices.  And so we give light to the world, even though we know our own minds are darkened with ignorance and sin, even though we know that the source of the light is far beyond us, and if we tried to look at it directly, without Jesus interceding, we’d go blind.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.