Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Saving bodies








When I wake up in the morning I go to the bathroom, and I wash my face and hands.  I remove the mouth guard that protects my teeth from clenching during the night, and clean it with a special brush and put it away.  I go into the kitchen and fill a glass with water and have a good long drink.  I take a few minutes for my morning prayers, and then I get back to tending to needs of my body.  I heat water to cook oatmeal and for tea.  Then I go into the living room and roll out my yoga mat and stretch and breathe to loosen the stiffness and soreness of the night.  I turn off the oatmeal pot and cover it and go take a shower.  I wash my hair and shave.  I brush my hair and dress.  I eat my breakfast, brush my teeth, grab my wallet, my phone, and my keys, put on my shoes, and then I’m ready. 
I’m ready to go out into the world, to assume my public persona, to go to work, to be the person others know and expect me to be.   But in order to be him, I first have to care for my body.  I say “my body” because that’s the way we conventionally talk, but that makes it sound like this body is a thing that I own, like a hat or a car, as if there is a separate “I” who possesses it, when the truth of my experience is that I am my body.  And it’s also true that even something as undeniably my own as being this particular body is not left to me to negotiate in private; whether I want it to be or not, “my” body is public property.  Other people define and interpret my body. 
They evaluate me, according to cultural norms—by sex, age, height, and weight; by the color and texture of my skin, eyes, and hair; by the tenor of my voice and dexterity of my movements, by the functionality, or lack thereof, of my organs and limbs, and brain.  These are all keys for classifying me as this or that kind of person and for interpreting my behavior.  Am I beautiful or ugly?  Menacing or friendly?  Esteemed or shameful?  Am I normal and able and healthy and well, or am I somehow other, something less than these?  These are questions we don’t always get to answer for ourselves, and the answers that we get from others profoundly shape how we relate to ourselves.  They can turn our bodies into prisons, where, quite apart from any biological necessity, we are sentenced to humiliation, isolation, or even death.
The Gospel of Mark is mostly a series of Jesus’ encounters with aspects of human existence that we would rather not have to deal with.  In many cases these are stories of the suffering of a body, one possessed by a demon or afflicted with disease.  But these bodies don’t simply have a medical condition, because their physical or mental suffering is compounded, is multiplied, by social indifference, by prevailing attitudes of suspicion, disdain or fear.  Public interpretation devalues the suffering of these bodies and gives them scant comfort or remedy. 
Today’s Gospel story is about the healing of this kind of body.  It is really two stories, two healings, with the second sandwiched into the middle of the first, and by putting them together the Gospel writer makes them comment on each other.  In some ways the story about the little girl is the more dramatic—after all, Jesus raises her from the dead, but it the other encounter that is the meat in the sandwich.  The protagonist of this story is a woman whose body has betrayed her with an abnormal, continual menstrual flow.  Needless to say, this has made her unable to conceive and bear children, denying her a woman’s primary source of honor and value in the eyes of her society.
But more than that, the religious laws in the Book of Leviticus say that this bleeding makes her ritually impure—she is excluded from the worship of God in the temple.  Her impurity is considered contagious; you can catch it from contact with her body or her clothing or even a place where she has sat or lain down, and it takes time and special ceremonies to cleanse that impurity away.  She once had been a woman of means, because the story tells how she spent her money on painful and ineffective treatments from doctors until it was all gone.  By the time that she meets Jesus, she has suffered this condition, and the status of pariah that goes along with it, for twelve long and lonely years. 
Which are all the years that the young daughter of the leader of the synagogue has been alive, and the contrast between their stories is instructive.  When the little girl needs help it is her father who goes and falls at the feet of Jesus to plead with him to come.  And this is the way it is supposed to be done.  A woman in the ancient world was supposed to avoid interaction with men she didn’t know.  She kept to the company of women, and to the private sphere of her home, and it was the responsibility of her male relations, her father, brother, uncle, or husband, to  advocate for what she needed in the public realm.  But the woman with the bleeding has no one to plead her case.  So she has to take matters, quite literally, into her own hands. 
The initiative in the story is all hers, it is her faith that if she could just touch Jesus’ cloak, she could be healed.  And she does touch it, and at once she feels in her body that she has been made well.  Power passes from body to body, but it is not the contagion of impurity passing from her body to Jesus’, but a healing charge of spirit that flows from his to hers.  Jesus’ feels it, too, a touch different from all the other hands grasping at him in the crowd.  He stops, demanding to know who it was who touched him in that way.  And though she falls before him trembling with fear, he tells her she is no longer alone, no longer without a patron, that now she has an advocate and protector, for he calls her “Daughter”, and says her faith has made her well.  
The word that means “made well” can also be translated “saved”, and this is a story of what it means to be saved by Jesus.  It’s a salvation that has everything to do with faith, and that shouldn’t surprise us.  I’m sure we’ve all heard enough about being saved by grace through faith to know that’s what Christians are supposed to believe about salvation, even if we’re not sure exactly what it means.  But what might be less obvious or expected is that this is the salvation of bodies.  It is God’s presence in a human body, the body of Jesus, that the woman in the story puts her faith in.  In faith she reaches out to touch that salvation, and it comes with the healing of her body.
But it goes further than that; it is the salvation of her whole person, of a body that is not only inner  and private experience but also public belonging.  Jesus’ salvation replaces the old, oppressive and divisive cultural codes with a new and universal language of identity, so that everyone who has faith in him is a new person in a new society, a daughter or a son in the family of God, a citizen of the Kingdom of God.  This salvation is what St. Paul writes about in the Letter to the Galatians, of baptism into Christ that makes us one--“no longer Jew or Greek, no longer slave or free, no longer male or female.” 
This week a scant majority of the United States Supreme Court, added that we are also no longer straight and gay.  Old cultural norms that privilege certain kinds of bodies and denigrate others continue to fall away before the gospel’s universal affirmation of human freedom, responsibility, and love.  This is a vision of the salvation, not only of persons, but of the world.  In the church we have a name for this world, this community in which every body has a unique but equally valuable place.  We call it a body—the Body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.