Sunday, November 13, 2016

Mercy and Truth





From time to time, one of my sermons makes someone mad.  As you might expect, it happens when I wade into the troubled waters of race relations, or climate change, or some such hot-button topic taken from the headlines.  And it’s not like I don’t know that I’m stirring the pot.  I labor over those sermons more than the others, and often have a hard time sleeping the night before I give them.  To the extent that the issue has been politicized, I try not to take sides.  My intention is to find in the scriptures a perspective that reveals a spiritual dimension to the real problems of the world.  But even as I do this I have to deal with the limits of my experience, and my own inherent biases, some of which are firm convictions, and some of which are assumptions of which I am not even conscious.   So there’s always the danger that the perspective I present as “biblical” and “spiritual” truth is really just a clever way to justify my own opinion. 
And other people have their inherent biases, and limited experience, their passionate convictions, and unconscious assumptions, as well.  So I am not surprised when someone takes offense, but when it actually happens it is always painful.  It reminds me that, among the world’s many problems, none is greater than our human inability to see them in the same way.  Maybe I’d be on firmer ground if I stuck to questions of personal faith and morality, and the work of spiritual growth, to talking about salvation, and Jesus, and heaven, and God.  These are the common interests, after all, of almost everyone who comes to church—including me.   But, then, I come to church with a responsibility that other people don’t.  I’m supposed to preach, and I’m accountable in what I say, not just to what I think is important, or what I imagine you want to hear; I’m accountable to God as God is revealed in the Bible. 
This is a responsibility I took on at the time of my ordination, when I made a solemn public declaration that I “believe the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God, and to contain all things necessary to salvation.”   Now, there is probably no end to the theological discussions we could have about what that means.  But it has clear practical implications for the everyday work of a preacher.   What it means for me is that at the beginning of each week I sit down with the scriptures that the church appoints for the coming Sunday and read them.  I read them out loud, slowly, several times.  I read the Gospel, at least, in its original language.  And as I read them I listen for the word or the phrase, the verse or the verses, that speak to me in a voice that is not my own.  I wait for the word that moves my heart and my mind, out of their unthinking circular grooves and into wonder, into an openness and attentiveness to meaning I take to be a little closer to the truth.
And for the rest of the week, with those scriptures in my mind, I listen to my life.   I watch for the correspondences between the active story or the image in the book, and the things that go on in my world.  Because, the God of the Bible is infinitely beyond our knowing, but has also revealed himself, as intimately acquainted, and concerned, with every aspect of our lives—from our most intimate thoughts, feelings, and relationships, to the social and political conflicts, and historic events, that shape the destinies of nations.   If I am going to preach to others to believe in that revelation, not as some abstract, impersonal truth somewhere out there, but as the light and the life of the world, I have to open my own life, my own world to the scrutiny, and interpretation, and critique that comes from the scriptures.   And like life itself, that sometimes that pushes me into places I would really rather not go. 
So it’s not like I sit down at my desk and think, “what can I say this time that will really piss people off.”   But lately, the lectionary has given us a lot of Jeremiah.  And maybe it is because of this year’s election campaign, and the general air of anxiety and crisis floating around, but Jeremiah has captured my imagination recently more than he ever has before.   The word of Jeremiah summons the whole house of Israel to look at some very hard truths, to look at their idolatry and self-deception, and their injustice to the poor, to contemplate the true nature of war, and to face a historical reckoning with the consequences of breaking faith with God.   And maybe it’s just me, but it feels like this is a moment when you and I are also being called—individually, yes, but especially collectively—to look at hard truths.  Anyway, for good or ill, I have felt compelled to give more thought than usual to Jeremiah, and I have asked you to do the same.
Now, I’m well aware that there is an aspect of my personality that gets off on this stuff, a part that is grandiose and angry, judgmental and self-righteousness, which is exactly why I’ve always wary of preaching in that vein.  And as a sinner, everything I do has mixed motives.  But, for what it’s worth, the best intention of my prophetic preaching, if you want to call it that, is love.  It is an invitation to intimacy, to move beyond the easy friendliness that we maintain by keeping silence about the things that really make us angry, or sad, or afraid.  It is offered in the hope that there is great reward in making the journey together into the heartbreak of the world, including the heartbreak of failing to see exactly eye-to-eye, and our reward is the faith that God’s word speaks even there.   
Today the Hebrew Bible shows us not the angry Jeremiah, the judgmental, accusatory Jeremiah, the prophet of doom, but Jeremiah the heartbroken.  It shows us Jeremiah who longs for the capacity to express even more fully the pain he feels over the sufferings of Israel: “For the hurt of my poor people I am hurt; I mourn, and dismay has taken hold of me…O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears.”  The word of God that can be a sharp arrow of truth, piercing ignorance and denial, or an iron rod, sternly correcting pride and vice, can also be a human heart breaking, a voice wailing for the sufferings of her children.  It is in that sharing of the cup of our suffering that the Word seems most human, most true to our world and our experience.  A God who speaks when we are lost and overwhelmed by personal tragedy or national calamity, in a human voice stricken with grief, is a source of true hope and consolation.       
Even in the midst of an unjust and conflicted world, the mercy of God invites us to have faith in a higher perspective.  That is how the author of 1st Timothy can urge that prayers be made for all people, even though only a small handful have embraced what he teaches.  Because the source of a godly, dignified, and peaceable life in a messed up world is faith in the God who desires that all people be saved.  Christians are to pray for kings and those who are in high places, even when those kings demand sacrifice and worship as if they were gods, and put Christians to death who refuse to do it.  If we defy such people in the name of the only God who really is God, how can we harbor ill-will against them whom God desires to save?  If Jesus gave himself as a ransom for all, who are we to decide who is worthy of our prayers of concern? 
Of course, 1st Timothy also says that God desires that everyone will come to the knowledge of the truth.  And in this mercy that moves us all toward the truth we see the dual nature of the word of God.  It is not always easy for us to hold both parts together.  We tend to splinter off into those who worship the God of certain revelation, of stern judgment and unchanging truth, on the one hand, or those who preach the God of mercy and forgiveness, long-suffering kindness, and reconciling love, on the other.  But the salvation of God, as the Psalmist says, is when “mercy and truth are met together: righteousness and peace have kissed each other.”  This is the salvation embodied in Christ, who holds our double-standards, our wishful-thinking, hypocrisy and lack of faith, up to the brightest, most revealing light possible —the radiant sun of his forgiveness and love.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.