Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Turning of the years




As some of you already know, my birthday is this week.  I’ll be turning fifty, which is one of those nice round numbers that lends itself to being thought of as a milestone.  It also makes for some easy computations.  For example, because I was ordained to the priesthood on my fortieth birthday, I will soon be able to say that I have spent one-fifth of my life as an Episcopal priest.  Or, since I came to Petaluma five years ago in August, I can already say that I have spent one-tenth of it in the service of St. John’s Church.  But, of course, the calculation that carries the most weight on an anniversary like this is the one that is impossible to make—the one that asks what proportion of my span of life remains to be spent.  I can’t know, but the odds are low, and diminishing quickly, that the answer is greater than one half.
When I was a child, or a young man, the time I have left seemed endless, because I couldn’t imagine it.  But now I know how long thirty years, or forty, or even fifty years is, because I’ve already lived it—and I know it’s not long.  So during this past year, as I have contemplated turning fifty, I have sometimes felt afraid: afraid of losing my social cachet, and my hair, and my mental and physical faculties; afraid of dying, certainly; but most of all afraid of running out of time, afraid that what remains of my life will run through my fingers as quickly and heedlessly as the life I have already spent.  My time is getting short, and at moments I am afraid I will come to the end of it with regret that I did not use it well.
But as my birthday’s gotten closer I’ve come to see that hidden in that fear there is a gift.   The fear itself is a gift, because it motivates me to ask some very important questions.  When I face the truth of my mortality, and do not look away, I cannot help but question the way I am living, the work that I’m doing, and the quality of my relationships, in the light of their ultimate significance.  How well am I lining up with my highest values?  What unfinished work can I still realistically hope to accomplish in the time that remains to me?  Am I creating the legacy I want to leave behind me when I’m gone?     
And within the fear of failing to live in a manner worthy of the best I hope to be, is the recognition that my time in this body, in this world, is a precious gift.  I did not create this life, I did not earn it, no one asked I deserved it, it just came to me, and along with it came all the other gifts, of love, nourishment, companionship, protection, teaching, solace, and support that have enabled me to carry it thus far.  When I appreciate the miracle of having had these fifty years to live the life that I’ve been blessed to have, I’m not so afraid anymore.  I’m grateful.  I am deeply thankful, and I aspire to make each day that’s added to the blessing I’ve received, my own modest way of saying “yes” to such unmerited abundance.

The Bible encourages us to think about the whole world in much the same way I’ve been thinking about my own fiftieth birthday.  We tend to assume that the world is going to go on and on pretty much the same as it is now for such a long time, it might as well be forever.  But one of the recurring themes in the Bible is that we need to keep in mind that it is going to end, maybe sooner than we think.  Maybe immediately.   
And if you take seriously passages like the one in Luke about how "There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars, and on the earth distress among nations” it is only natural to be afraid.  But making us afraid is not the intent behind these words.  The passage goes on to say “people will faint from fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world;” so it does acknowledge that what it is talking about is frightening.   But its purpose in warning us about these things ahead of time is so that we will not cower in fear, ducking for cover, but so we will confidently raise our heads and look for what is coming after.
There was a brief time in the history of our own civilization when some of us, at least, could imagine we were building a world that would last forever.  The continuous advancement of science and technology, capitalism and industry, liberal democracy, and the so-called Rights of Man, would just go on and on and on until we arrived at an earthly paradise.  And yet, the fear of the sudden end, the abrupt and unexpected crash, has continued to haunt our civilization, even in circles where its religious basis is denied.  Nuclear war, asteroid collision, bird flu, global warming, fanatics with dirty bombs populate our nightmares, even as we continue to praise the magnificence of our dreams. 
But I think it is ridiculous to think that first-century followers of Jesus envisioned our moment in history, and issued warnings about our specific circumstances, but their timing was just two thousand years off.  There were signs enough in their own century that the world they lived in could not last.  Falsehood, injustice and violence so riddled its social, religious, and political order that it could not help but fall.  They saw that this was not simply true of the institutions that they knew--the Judean temple-state and the Greco-Roman Empire--but that any new power that might rise to take their place would share the same spirit and so meet the same fate.  
What the authors of the Bible understood is that we human beings keep trying to create an order in the world that will last forever, because this is how we cope with our fear of death.  We think that if we can be part of something greater than ourselves, a set of norms and symbols, of customs, laws, and institutions with their monuments and histories, if we can improve a little on this legacy and pass it down intact to succeeding generations at least we can feel like our lives meant something.   And if we have to cut some corners, and turn a blind eye to certain uncomfortable truths, and sacrifice some victims to maintain the present order of the world, we consider the price worth paying.  But the hard message of the Bible is that this effort is still futile, because the world you and I live in, and any other we could make, is coming to end. 
Because we cannot take the anxieties and aspirations of our mortal lives and make from them our own ultimate meaning.  It lies beyond them.  We cannot derive the transcendent values by which to steer an eternal course from the conventional wisdom of a world that is passing away—they come from somewhere else.  But here is what the Bible says that is heartening and liberating, beyond what we have any reason to expect—that help has come, and more is on the way.  We may already have one foot in the grave, but Christ has emptied the tomb of its power.  The world may be coming to an end, but at that end we’ll find the world’s true beginning.  Because God wants greater things for us than we know how to want for ourselves.
Which means that through all the troubles we encounter, in the face of all the things that cast a pall of fear and helplessness over our lives, we hold an unbreakable lifeline of hope.  And I don’t mean a passive, “well, maybe someday” kind of hope.  The hope that the writers of the New Testament urged on their communities was an active readiness, a way of living in expectation that God’s inconceivable deliverance is close at hand.  It is very close, closer than we think, liable to break into the world and transform everything we thought was impervious to change, or wouldn’t change for a long, long time.  The grace to know what, out of all the things the world has conditioned us to want, we really need, has come to us, is coming to us, will come to us, even as we hope for its coming.  And the true desire of the nations, which spells their doom and their deliverance, is God’s desire too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.