Tuesday, October 23, 2012

One plan





In January 2001, after seven years of slowly creeping to the conclusion that God’s plan for my life included becoming an Episcopal priest, I had an appointment with the Bishop of the Diocese of California.  I’d paid for and completed the psychological evaluation.  I’d met the three year residency requirement, and gotten the letters of recommendation, and written the essays.  I’d organized the congregational vocations committee and gone through the day-long meeting with the diocesan Commission on Ministry, and they’d recommended me to the Bishop for admission to the postulancy, the first stage of the ordination process.  But it was the Bishop’s decision to make, and as he showed me into his large corner office looking out at Grace Cathedral, I knew that my fate was in his hands.

We chatted for maybe half-an-hour while he leafed through a thick dossier on his lap that I knew was all about me.  I don’t remember anything about the conversation until the point when he closed the folder, straightened up in his chair, looked me in the eye and said, “Well, I was prepared to be unimpressed.”  Then he said, “what I usually do in these interviews is I look at the person in front of me and match them up with some other person I’ve ordained.  I’ll think, ‘He reminds me of so-and-so, so I know he’ll be a really fine pastor’, or ‘she’s kind of like what’s-her-name, who’s such a wonderful teacher.’  And when I can do that, then I feel confident that this person has a real vocation and a reasonable chance of success.”  He paused for a moment, while I waited for what he was going to say next.  “But the problem I’m having with you,” he went on, “is that I can’t match you up with anyone.  You’re not like anybody else.  But I feel like maybe God is doing something here.  So I’m going to say it will be okay to go ahead, and we’ll see what happens.”

If you’ve ever listened to Christian AM radio, you’ve heard it said that God has a plan for your life.  This is a standard theme of sermons that are aimed at bringing about religious conversion.  It is an effective message because it speaks to an emotional and spiritual need that our secular society is not doing a very good job of meeting.  In our world every individual person is expected to follow a fairly predictable script: find what it is that you are good at, which, incidentally, had better be something you can get paid for; then apply yourself to that diligently and consistently over time, so as to be rewarded with the material standard of living that says “you’ve made it,” and that enables you not to have to depend on anyone else.  Many people are by temperament or good fortune able to fulfill that script pretty well, which is no discredit to them at all, although even they sometimes wonder if that is really all there is.

But a lot of people really struggle because for a whole host of reasons their lives don’t quite work out that way.  And some people actually were just never cut out for that script in the first place.  Either way, they often pay a very heavy price for their inability or unwillingness to “make it” in that sense, and it is to them that the radio preacher speaks, to say that there is something else, something that transcends the conventional “ladder to success”, something that gives purpose and pattern and meaning to our lives.  It can be life-changing to hear this, and to imagine that the holder and giver of life’s meaning is infinitely wise, and infinitely powerful.  That can be good news to people who are struggling to find a sense of their own power, their own wisdom and worth.

But this brings us to the question that Jesus asks James and John in the gospel story this morning—“what do you want?”  Because the way we answer that question says a lot about whether we are really open to God’s plan for our lives, or whether we’re actually asking to make a deal with God, to get her to work on behalf of our plan.  Sometimes when people say “God has a plan for your life,” they also seem to be saying “if you believe in God, and do the right things, your life will work out the way that you want.” But I think we all know that sometimes life doesn’t work out the way you want.  And with some things that happen, it’s pretty near impossible to believe that God was behind it at all.

James and John tell Jesus that what they want is to be given seats on his right hand and on his left when he is enthroned in glory, and he explains to them that those places are not his to give.  That’s the sort of thing that belongs to the higher plan, and as such it is none of their concern.   But that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a plan for their lives, and Jesus answers with a question about their commitment to that plan.  “Are you able,” he asks them, “to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism that I undergo?  Are you able to join me in my mission?”  And then he takes the twelve disciples aside to explain to them one more time what his mission is about, and what being his disciples really means.  Because God doesn’t just have a plan for their individual lives.  God doesn’t just have a plan for my life, or your life.  God has a plan for the whole universe, and your plan cannot be separated from my plan or anyone else’s.  There is really only one plan, and it is a plan for all of us together.

The mission of Jesus Christ, in which we are privileged to take part, is to give himself to the world in service of that great plan.  When our aim in life is only to seek our own advantage, to carve out our own little domain where we are the boss, and other people serve us, we diminish God’s plan for our lives.  We lose sight of our true greatness, a greatness of spirit that comes to life in us as we are remade by the grace and the glory of the one who came in service to others.  In his life of perfect generosity we see an image of God’s purpose for every human life.  It is a purpose that holds good, even when, on a personal level, we experience loss.  It holds good, even when we experience suffering.  It holds good, even when we experience, poverty, and homelessness, and failure.  Because on the personal level, that’s what Jesus experienced, and he accepted it--not because suffering and death are desirable in themselves, but out of the depth of his love, the breadth of his hope, the power of his faith in God’s plan.

I will always be grateful to Bishop Swing of the Diocese of California for trusting that God’s call to the priesthood sometimes paints outside the familiar lines.  It’s a trust I’ve tried to repay in my ministry by being open to the working of God’s purpose in all kinds of people and every sort of circumstance.  And as we celebrate our Stewardship Season at St. John’s, I think it is important for us to be grateful that God’s plan for us is greater than meeting the needs of our own parish.  So this week we have a couple of opportunities to reflect together on that more comprehensive plan.  On Wednesday evening we will gather to break bread and enjoy our friendship, and then to have a conversation about God’s vision for the future of our congregation, and what it might call us to do to take loving care for the whole Earth.  And this morning, as we did at this time last year, we welcome a representative of the Committee on the Shelterless (COTS), which does such fine work on our behalf, helping people in our community to maintain their faith in God’s plan for their lives, when they have no place to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.