Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Gratitude for now


From Simone Weil, Waiting for God (Putnam, 1951)
p. 88
Near the beginning of her letter of May 26, 1942, published under the title "Last Thoughts", Simone Weil wrote:
"I do not need any hope or any promise in order to believe that God is rich in mercy. I know this wealth of his with the certainty of experience; I have touched it. What I know of it through actual contact is so far beyond my capacity of understanding and gratitude that even the promise of future bliss could add nothing to it for me; since for human intelligence the addition of two infinites is not an addition."

This is the essence of human religion--to love and be thankful as a pure, formless response to having tasted the goodness of God. Whatever can be said about human nature and the disciplines of moral correction or mental attention that are therapeutic or atoning, it is reality itself, experienced at its essence as infinite grace, infinite love, infinite compassion, that is salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Petaluma, California, United States
I am a priest in the Episcopal Church, and have been (among other things) an organic farmer and gardener, and a Zen monk. I have a lifelong interest in social and spiritual renewal on the basis of contemplative discipline, creative nonviolence, and ecological practice. In recent years my work has focused intensely on the responsibility of pastoral ministry in the humanistic, evangelical, and catholic branch of Christianity known as Anglicanism. I'm married with a daughter, and have three brothers and two parents.